Friday, September 7, 2012

Change


Change is Good.


As we approach our church wide day of prayer on September 29th .   I have been examining myself for areas where God wants me to make changes.  The basis of this is really wanting a closer relationship with God. Growing up, I had always heard change was a bad thing. I developed the mindset that resisted change.
Recently, I heard a story of a snake that escaped its cage at a local school. Despite efforts by school officials and the animal control agency to find the snake, it was nowhere to be found.  Someone decided to leave the cage door open and turn the heat rock back on. The snake returned.  Many times, we behave the same way. We find a comfort zone and park ourselves there. We may venture out but usually return to what is familiar or comfortable.

The Bible teaches us that God wants us to change to be like Him.

Ephesians 4:22 – 23 says : That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;  And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;  And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

 The word renewed in verse 23 means to “renovate”.   I have to examine the way I think, my beliefs and behaviors. If they don’t line up with the Word of God, I am are required to change.  That is serious renovation or change.


So how did I begin the process? During Sunday church service we were told to routinely say,” I believe God, I belong to God, I serve God”  I also added “ I love God.”  We were also instructed to start saying, “Without Him, I can do nothing, know nothing, have nothing.”

I began to say those things, then I would ask God to show me where I had pride in my life that would prevent me from seeing areas that needed renovation.  I would sit quietly and listen for instruction.  God started showing me where I needed to change. 

 Changing a lot of times is simply saying, God you’re right, forgive me, I repent of that. Instead of that wrong behavior or belief,  I replace that with Your Truth and the power of your Holy Spirit then I move on. 

The change brings peace, freedom, and a closer relationship with Him, the Creator of the universe. All because He loves us and gave His best for us.


He wants us all to be more like Him.  Let’s step out of our comfort zone, and live recklessly for God.

                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment